With Windows Server 2012 (WSUS 4.0), Microsoft released a PowerShell module with cmdlets for managing and automating tasks. However, quite a few people are still using WSUS 3.0 which shipped with Server 2008 R2 and unfortunately a module was not provided with this edition.
When Windows 10 was released, one of the biggest things that worried IT System Admins was the pretty major change to the way Windows Updates were deployed. Traditionally, Microsoft released an assortment of security fixes and minor non-security fixes every month. Then once or twice a year they may have released service packs as fix rollups and feature improvements. This approach allowed IT System Admins to push security patches out whenever they got round to it or let computers update themselves. Then every X amount of years (or never) they thought about planning to upgrade their IT estate which would be a massive project.
With Windows 10, this all changed and this year, it changed for earlier operating systems too.
Last week, I was working on a project to roll out a number of MS Surfaces as kiosk devices. As part of the configuration, I was required to somehow stop users exiting the kiosk software by pressing Alt-F4 or Esc. After some research (googling), I decided the best way to achieve this was using “scancode maps”.
At work, I had to gauge how much impact turning off folder redirection would have for a customer. To do this you need to figure out how much data users have in their redirected folders, because the process will copy everything down to their local folder.
The structure of the folders was, “Username\Documents” with “Documents” being the redirected folder. So initially, I looped through each of the Username folders and grabbed the Length property of each. However, what I found was that a lot of them didn’t have a Length property for whatever reason.
Its been a little while since I’ve had chance to sit down and think up a post. The end of September was the deadline for a big project I’ve been working on, so I was pretty busy trying to make sure things were done. Things have slightly settled down now, so I’ve had more time to play with personal projects and improve my ConfigMgr app.
A separate idea I had for PowerShell and ConfigMgr, was to create some kind of portal for 1st line technicians to add machines for Operating System builds. The idea being they wouldnt have to go into the console to import computer information. My initial thoughts were to use a html frontend, which I would host on a tiny web server and then have PowerShell do my script work. After digging into this I figured it would require a proper web app to do something like that, using server code.